How to install Adobe Reader on Debian Linux (multiarch)

Today, a friend of mine (recently converted into a Linux user) asked me for help with opening PDF files from CIC (Citizen and Immigration Canada) website. Those files demand the latest version of Adobe Reader not available for Linux platform and a module for Chinese Traditional language support. I’ve managed to install Acrobat Reader 9.5.5 (the last available version for Unix) and make it open these files on both Debian and Ubuntu machines. Here’s the sequence of commands for you to try:

$ sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386 libxml2:i386 libidn11:i386 \
    libpangox-1.0-0:i386 gtk2-engines-murrine:i386 gtk2-engines-pixbuf:i386

$ wget -c ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/9.x/9.5.5/enu/AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb
$ sudo dpkg -i AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb

$ wget -c http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/9.x/9.1/misc/FontPack910_cht_i486-linux.tar.bz2
$ tar xvf FontPack910_cht_i486-linux.tar.bz2
$ cd CHTKIT
$ sudo ./INSTALL

answer a couple of questions from the script and, if everything is okay, you should have a working Adobe Reader able to handle these forms.

Adobe Reader 9.5.5 on Debian Linux

Comments (7)

giancarlo over 3 years ago

Hello,

Debian 7 don't have the package libpangox-1.0-0:i386 or libpangox:i386

have a good day

Paul Philippov over 3 years ago

As I can see, it is still there in both jessie and sid.

Rob Sargeant over 3 years ago

Thanks for the wget link to Adobe Reader!

If you run wheezy and don't want to install sid or jessie repositories to get libpangox, you can Google your way to Debian's download page for libpangox, download the .deb, and install it with gdebi.

Arnaldo Donoso, Caracas, Venezuela. over 3 years ago

Thanks !
It worked "almost" out of the box. I still had to add libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 as a last step because I'm using the nvidia drivers for my graphics card (using jessie amd64). I took it from this discussion: forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=105647

Cheers !!

Jaan about 3 years ago

Thank you this worked well with my debian system. I also was able to add it as a plugin for Firefox using the instructions given on the pipelight website.

Baffo about 3 years ago

Hi, thank you for this very useful guide. I don't know if this will be useful but I have installed Adobe Reader in this way. I have Debian 7.6 with kernel 3.2.0-4amd64.

1) I have downloaded the last version of adobe, "AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb"

2) I have forced the installation in root terminal:

dpkg --force-architecture -i AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb

3) After the forced installation, the terminal gave me some error. To resolve this I used this command, always as root:

apt-get install -f

With this command, Debian have installed some missing libraries.

4) Adobe Reader works good.

Peter over 2 years ago

BAFFO: Exactly that worked for me ;)